There has been a lot of chatter online about the Bridgewater Triangle lately. Yet, unfortunately, the geography of the triangle is largely misunderstood. Here are some key points to remember.
1. The Bridgewater Triangle is 200-square-miles. Abington serves as the northern apex, Freetown serves as the southeastern apex, and Rehoboth serves as the southwestern apex. Other towns either entirely within the triangle, or partially within the triangle include (working from North to South): Abington, Brockton, Whitman, Easton, West Bridgewater, East Bridgewater, Norton, Taunton, Raynham, Bridgewater, Middleboro, Attleboro, Rehoboth, Dighton, Berkley, Lakeville, Swansea, Somerset, Fall River & Freetown. Some edge towns may be included or excluded from the triangle depending on how the lines are drawn.
2. The Hockomock Swamp DOES NOT span the entire Bridgewater Triangle. While the swamp is large, it is confined to the towns of Easton, West Bridgewater, Norton, Taunton, Raynham and Bridgewater. The Hockomock Swamp IS NOT located anywhere near the Freetown-Fall River State Forest. Other Bridgewater Triangle locations found WITHIN the Hockomock Swamp include: The Raynham Dog Track, Lake Nippenicket and the Solitude Stone.
3. The Freetown-Fall River State Forest is confined to Freetown and Fall River, and does not span the entire Bridgewater Triangle. The forest is located in the lower right-hand portion of the triangle. The Freetown-Fall River State forest IS NOT located anywhere near the Hockomock Swamp. Other Bridgewater Triangle locations found WITHIN the Freetown-Fall River State Forest include: The Ledge, Profile Rock, the Pet Cemetery and “The Bunker”. Locations described as being in the forest that are actually outside of the forest include: “Carl Drew’s Shack”, the “Witch’s Hut”, and the Assonet Cemetery.
4. Grassy Island (home of the infamous archeological dig of the 1930s) IS NOT located in the Hockomock Swamp. The island is located in the Taunton River in Berkley within a few hundred yards of Dighton Rock.
5. Anawan Rock is in Rehoboth, and NOT in the Hockomock Swamp. The rock is surrounded by a swamp, but it is not the Hockomock Swamp. Anawan Rock is not anywhere near the Hockomock Swamp or the Freetown-Fall River State Forest.
6. Here are some towns often cited as being in the Bridgewater Triangle that are not officially within the triangle’s boundaries: Mansfield, Weymouth, Hanson, Dartmouth and New Bedford.
Here is an accurate map of the Bridgewater Triangle.